“Through my research, I want to contribute to improving public health in urban areas”
Dr. Md. Shakhaoat Hossain is an Associate Professor at the Department of Public Health and Informatics, Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh. His research focuses on broad areas around the influence of environment on public health. He is basically an environmental epidemiologist focusing his major research on the health effects of air pollution exposure.
Dr. Hossain was a visiting research scholar at the North Carolina State University, USA. During his study in the USA, he conducted research on air pollution exposure assessment and health effects. He has obtained PhD degree from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong in 2021. For PhD funding, he has been awarded the most prestigious fellowship “Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme”. He has given numerous talks at conferences and seminars in the USA and Hong Kong.
Dr. Hossain joined Jahangirnagar University as a Lecturer in 2014. He has been promoted to Assistant Professor in 2017. After that, he went to Hong Kong and USA for his PhD degree. Before joining the Jahangirnagar University, he served as National Environment Counselor in the Bangladesh Export Processing Zones Authority (BEPZA) from 2013 to 2014.
He is doing several collaborative research work both nationally and internationally, including in Hong Kong and USA. His research team is conducting research on air pollution exposure and health effects, air pollution epidemiology, air quality control, epidemiology of non-communicable diseases, health effects of climate change, urban health and healthy city, and others.
Note: Dr. Hossain always invites highly motivated students, including PhD, MPhil, and MS students to join his research pursuits. Interested applicants can directly contact Dr. Md. Shakhaoat Hossain (firstname.lastname@example.org, Contact: +8801776177063).
Google scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=nAw1hlcAAAAJ
Epidemiology, Environmental Epidemiology, Air Pollution and Health, Air Quality Control, Climate Chnage and Health, Healthy and sustainable city
JOURNAL PAPER1. M.S. Hossain, H.C. Frey, P.K.K. Louie, A.K.H. Lau, Combined effects of increased O3 and reduced NO2 concentrations on short-term air pollution health risks in Hong Kong, Environmental Pollution, 270, pp.116280, 2021. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2020.116280
2. M.S. Hossain, W. Che, H.C. Frey, A.K.H. Lau, Factors affecting variability in infiltration of ambient particle and gaseous pollutants into home at urban environment, Building and Environment, 206, pp.108351, 2021. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2021.108351
3. M.S. Hossain, W. Che, A.K.H. Lau, Inter- and intra-individual variability of personal short-term health risk of combined particle and gaseous pollutants across selected urban microenvironments., International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 19, pp.565, doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19010565
4. W. Che, A.T.Y. Li, H.C. Frey, K.T.J. Tang, L. Sun, P. Wei, M.S. Hossain, T.L. Hohenberger, K.W. Leung, A.K.H. Lau, Factors affecting variability in gaseous and particle microenvironmental air pollutant concentrations in hong kong primary and secondary schools, Indoor Air, 31, pp.170–187, 2021. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/ina.12725
5. W. Che, H.C. Frey, J.C.H. Fung, Z. Ning, H. Qu, H.K. Lo, L. Chen, T.W. Wong, M.K.M. Wong, O.C.W. Lee, D. Carruthers, F. Cheung, J.W.M. Chan, D.W. Yeung, Y.H. Fung, X. Zhang, J. Stocker, C. Hood, T.L. Hohenberger, K.W. Leung, P.Y.K. Louie, A.T.Y. Li, L., PRAISE-HK: A personalized real-time air quality informatics system for citizen participation in exposure and health risk management, Sustainable Cities and Society, 54, pp.101986, 2020. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2019.101986
6. X. Zhang, J.C.H. Fung, A.K.H. Lau, M.S. Hossain, P.K.K. Louie, W. Huang, Air quality and synergistic health effects of ozone and nitrogen oxides in response to China’s integrated air quality control policies during 2015–2019, Chemosphere, 268, pp.129385, 2021. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2020.129385
7. Y. Bo, C. Guo, C. Lin, Y. Zeng, H.B. Li, Y. Zhang, M.S. Hossain, J.W.M. Chan, D.W. Yeung, K.O. Kwok, S.Y.S. Wong, A.K.H. Lau, X.Q. Lao, Effectiveness of non-pharmaceutical interventions on COVID-19 transmission in 190 countries from 23 January to 13 April 2020, International Journal of Infectious Diseases, 102, pp.247–253, 2021. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2020.10.066
8. C. Guo, Y. Bo, C. Lin, H.B. Li, Y. Zeng, Y. Zhang, M.S. Hossain, J.W.M. Chan, D.W. Yeung, K. on Kwok, S.Y.S. Wong, A.K.H. Lau, X.Q. Lao, Meteorological factors and COVID-19 incidence in 190 countries: An observational study, Science of The Total Environment, 757, pp.143783, 2021. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.143783
9. C. Guo, S.H.T. Chan, C. Lin, Y. Zeng, Y. Bo, Y. Zhang, S. Hossain, J.W.M. Chan, D.W. Yeung, A.K.H. Lau, X.Q. Lao, Physical distancing implementation, ambient temperature and Covid-19 containment: An observational study in the United States, Science of The Total Environment, 789, pp.147876, 2021. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.147876
10. C. Lin, A.K.H. Lau, J.C.H. Fung, C. Guo, J.W.M. Chan, D.W. Yeung, Y. Zhang, Y. Bo, M.S. Hossain, Y. Zeng, X.Q. Lao, A mechanism-based parameterisation scheme to investigate the association between transmission rate of COVID-19 and meteorological factors on plains in China, Science of The Total Environment, 737, pp.140348, 2020. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.140348
11. Ahmed, F., Hossain, S., Hossain, S. et al., Impact of household air pollution on human health: source identification and systematic management approach, SN Applied Sciences, 1, pp.418, 2019. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s42452-019-0405-8
12. Hossain, S., Anjum, A., Hasan, M.T., Uddin, M.E., Hossain, M.S., Sikder, M.T, Self-perception of physical health conditions and its association with depression and anxiety among Bangladeshi university students, Journal of Affective Disorders, 263 (1), pp.282–288, 2020. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2019.11.153.
13. M. S. Hossain, A. N. M. Fakhruddin, M. Alamgir Zaman Chowdhury and M. Khorshed Alam, Degradation of chlorpyrifos, an organophosphorus insecticide in aqueous solution with gamma irradiation and natural sunlight, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 1 (3), pp.270-274, 2013. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2013.05.006
14. M. S. Hossain, M. A. Z. Chowdhury, Md. Kamruzzaman Pramanik, M. A. Rahman, A. N. M. Fakhruddin and M. K. Alam, Determination of selected pesticides in water samples adjacent to agricultural fields and removal of organophosphorus insecticide chlorpyrifos using soil bacterial isolates, Applied Water Science, 5(2), pp.171-179, 2015.
CONFERENCE PAPER1. MS HOSSAIN, W CHE, HC Frey, A LAU, Variability of personal exposure to fine particulate matter across selected microenvironments., The 6th International Symposium on RAQM and the 2nd Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao GBA Air Forum, Hong Kong, 2020.
3. A Lau, W Che, HC Frey, MS Hossain, Measurement and Modeling of Urban Personal Air Pollution Exposure in Hong Kong, SRA Annual Meeting, Arlington, VA, USA, 2019.
2. MS HOSSAIN, HC FREY, PKK LOUIE, AKH LAU, Trends in Hong Kong Ambient Air Pollutants and Implications for Health Effect., The 6th International Symposium on RAQM and the 2nd Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao GBA Air Forum, Hong Kong, 2020.
4. W Che, MS Hossain, AKH Lau, Variability in Ambient Air Pollution Infiltration and Its Impact on Personal Exposure, International Society of Exposure Science and International Society of Environmental Epidemiology (ISES-ISEE) 2018 Joint Annual Meeting, Ottawa, Canada, 2018.
SEMINAR1. HOSSAIN, M.S., Personalized air pollution exposure for precision health risk management: moving towards a new era of precision public health, Department of Public health and Informatics, Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh,
2. HOSSAIN, M.S., Personal exposure to air pollution in different microenvironments: The influence of time-activity patterns., Division of Environment and Sustainability. Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong.,
3. HOSSAIN, M.S., Factors affecting variability in outdoor infiltration of particle and gaseous pollutants into home., Interdisciplinary Program Office. Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong.,
4. HOSSAIN, M.S., Investigation of the variability of personal exposure to air pollution across selected microenvironments., Division of Environment and Sustainability. Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong.,
5. HOSSAIN, M.S., Variability of infiltration factor of outdoor air pollution in home environment., Division of Environment and Sustainability. Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong.,
6. HOSSAIN, M.S., Variability of urban personal air pollution exposure across different microenvironments,, Department of Public health and Informatics, Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh.,
|Course Code||Course Title||Semester/Year|
|PHI-601||Theoretical Foundation of Public Health||MPhill/ PhD|
|PHI-409||Global Health||4th year (BPH)|
|PHI-303||Environmental Health||3rd year BPH|
|PHI-312||Practical: Environmental Health||3rd year BPH|
|PHI-306||Health Education and Health Promotion||3rd year BPH|
|PHI-214||Practical: Field Work on Occupational Health||2nd year BPH|
|PHI-503||Advance Environmental Health||MPH|
|PHI-314||Practical: Health Education and Health Promotion||3rd year BPH|
|PHI-414||Research Project||4th year (BPH)|
Visiting Research Scholar (Health effects of air pollution exposure)
Period: 2017 - 2021
PhD in Environmental Health (Health effects of air pollution exposure, effectiveness of air pollution control measures, personal exposure to air pollution and health effects)
Master of Science in Environmental Sciences
BSc in Environmental Sciences