Professor Md. Salequl Islam has been teaching undergraduate and postgraduate students for two decades. Alongside, he is an adjunct faculty under the title of Senior Visiting Fellow at the University of New South Wales (UNSW), Sydney, Australia. He earned his B.Sc and M.S in Microbiology from the University of Dhaka, Bangladesh. Mr. Islam began his research career at the Immunology Unit of ICDDR,B. Then he transitioned to studying HIV pathogenesis and obtained his PhD in 2011.
He was awarded a postdoctoral fellowship sponsored by the International AIDS Society and National Institute on Drug Abuse (IAS-NIDA 2012) to study at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA, between 2013-2015. Subsequently, the Interfaculty Council for Development Cooperation of Katholieke University (KU Leuven), Belgium, awarded him a short visiting research fellowship in 2017. Dr. Islam is a Gold Medal Awardee (Biological Sciences, Junior Group) of the Bangladesh Academy of Sciences (BAS, 2016).
Prof. Islam has been working for several years to disseminate American Society for Microbiology (ASM) activities and microbiology research to local students and young researchers. In 2016, ASM selected him as Bangladesh's head of BioResource Center (BRC). Currently, he has been leading several small and mid-level research projects under One Health Platform at Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh. He has mentored more than 25 MS/M.Phil./Ph.D. students and has been guiding several more. Dr. Islam is the author of more than 60 scientific articles published in reputed peer-reviewed journals.
One Health, Antimicrobial resistance, Infection diseases, Epidemiology, Public Health
Urmi UL, Willcox MDP, Islam Salequl, Kuppusamy R, Vijay AK. Ocular signs and symptoms of monkeypox virus infection, and possible role of the eye in transmission of the virus. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2022 Dec 28:101808. doi: 10.1016/j.clae.2022.101808. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36585302; PMCID: PMC9795335.
Adnan, N. ., Haque, M. ., Mou, T. J. ., Islam, S. ., Nahar, S. ., Chowdhury, K. ., Zaman, T. ., Akter, F. ., Sharmin, S. ., Nusrat, N. ., Kabir, R. ., Biswas, N. K. ., Kumar, S. ., Sharma, P. ., Lutfor, A. B. ., Siddiqui, T. H. ., Etando, A. ., Ahmad, R. ., Abdullah, A. . and Godman, B. . (2022) “The Impact of COVID-19 on The Teaching of Non-Medical Healthcare Professionals in Bangladesh: Observations and Implications From A Pilot Study”, Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science, 21(4), pp. 731–743. doi: 10.3329/bjms.v21i4.61361.
Nusrat Jahan Nipa , Nasima Aktar , Hasina M. Hira , Farhana Akter , Dilshad Jahan , Salequl Islam , Ayukafangha Etando , Adnan Abdullah , Kona Chowdhury , Rahnuma Ahmad , Ahsanul Haq , Mainul Haque. "Intestinal Parasitic Infections Among Pediatric Patients in a Metropolitan City of Bangladesh With Emphasis on Cryptosporidiosis." Cureus 2022 14(7): e26927. DOI 10.7759/cureus.26927.
Shamsun Nahar, Umme Laila Urmi, Tamanna Ali, Adity Rumnaz, Tanjum Ara Haque, Bayasrin Ara, Mohammed Shah Alam, Abu Syed Md. Mosaddek, and Salequl Islam. “ESBL Genes, blaTEM, blaOXA, and blaSHV in Poultry Gut Bacteria: An Endemic Public Health Burden in Bangladesh”. Bangladesh Med Res Counc Bull 2021; 47: 165-174. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3329/bmrcb.v47i2.57775.540. (Corresponding author).
Mainul Haque, Tasim Ara, Md. Ahsanul Haq, Halyna Lugova, Siddhartha Dutta, Nandeeta Samad, Abdullahi Rabiu Abubakar, Sharifah Shasha Binti Syed Mohdhar, Md. Mahabubur Rahman, Salequl Islam, Nihad Adnan, Rahnuma Ahmad, Shahidah Leong Binti Abdullah, Mohd Hafizi Bin Ismail and Brian Godman. "Antimicrobial Prescribing Confidence and Knowledge Regarding Drug Resistance: Perception of Medical Students in Malaysia and the Implications". Antibiotics 2022, 11, 540. https://doi.org/10.3390/antibiotics11050540.
Abdul Malek, Mukesh Khadga , Md Nurnobi Zahid , Sanjida Mojib , Reena Debnath , Sheela Khan, Mainul Haque, Brian Godman, Salequl Islam. "Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome of a Neonate From a COVID-19-Infected Mother: A Case Report". Cureus 14(3): e23046. DOI 10.7759/cureus.23046. (Corresponding author).
Tanjum Ara Haque, Umme Laila Urmi, Abul Bashar Mir Md Khademul Islam, Bayasrin Ara, Shamsun Nahar, Abu Syed Md Mosaddek, Halyna Luguva, Santosh Kumar, Dilshad Jahan, Nor Azlina A Rahman, Mainul Haque, Salequl Islam, Brian Godman. "Detection of qnr genes and gyrA mutation to quinolone phenotypic resistance of UTI pathogens in Bangladesh and the implications: resistance UTI pathogens Bangladesh". 2022:185-198. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. DOI: 10.7324/JAPS.2022.120422. (Corresponding author).
Malo J, Alam MJ, Islam S, et al. “Intestinal alkaline phosphatase deficiency increases the risk of diabetes” BMJ Open Diabetes Research and Care 2022;10:e002643. doi: 10.1136/bmjdrc-2021-002643. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjdrc-2021-002643
Chowdhury K, Haque M, Nusrat N, Adnan N, Islam S, Lutfor AB, Begum D, Rabbany A, Karim E, Malek A, Jahan N, Akter J, Ashraf S, Hasan MN, Hassan M, Akhter N, Mazumder M, Sihan N, Naher N, Akter S, Zaman SU, Chowdhury T, Nesa J, Biswas S, Islam MD, Hossain AM, Rahman H, Biswas PK, Shaheen M, Chowdhury F, Kumar S, Kurdi A, Mustafa ZU, Schellack N, Gowere M, Meyer JC, Opanga S, Godman B. Management of Children Admitted to Hospitals across Bangladesh with Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19 and the Implications for the Future: A Nationwide Cross-Sectional Study. Antibiotics (Basel). 2022 Jan 14;11(1):105. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/antibiotics11010105. PMID: 35052982; PMCID: PMC8772946.
Dutta S, Kaur RJ, Bhardwaj P, Sharma P, Ambwani S, Islam Salequl, Tandon A, Abhayanand JP, Sukhija S, Venkatesh SS, Misra S, Haque M, Charan J. Adverse events reported from the COVID-19 vaccines: A descriptive study based on the WHO database (VigiBase®). J Appl Pharm Sci, 2021; 11(08): 001–009.
Jeet Kaur R, Dutta S, Charan J, Bhardwaj P, Tandon A, Yadav D, Islam Salequl, Haque M. Cardiovascular Adverse Events Reported from COVID-19 Vaccines: A Study Based on WHO Database. Int J Gen Med. 2021;14:3909-3927. https://doi.org/10.2147/IJGM.S324349
Charan J, Dutta S, Kaur R, Bhardwaj P, Sharma P, Ambwani S, Jahan I, Abubakar AR, Islam Salequl, Hardcastle TC, Rahman NAA, Lugova H, Haque M. Tocilizumab in COVID-19: a study of adverse drug events reported in the WHO database. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2021 Sep;20(9):1125-1136. doi: 10.1080/14740338.2021.1946513. Epub 2021 Jun 28. PMID: 34162299; PMCID: PMC8290369.
Nusrat, N., Haque, M., Chowdhury, K., Adnan, N., Lutfor, A. B., Karim, E., Hassan, M., Rabbany, A., Begum, D. ., Hasan, M. N. ., Sihan, N., Zaman, S. U. ., Islam, Salequl. ., Schellack, N. ., Gowere, M. ., Kurdi, A. ., & Godman, B. (2021). Pilot Study on the Current Management of Children with COVID-19 In Hospitals in Bangladesh; Findings and Implications. Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science, 20(5), 188–198. https://doi.org/10.3329/bjms.v20i5.55615
Islam, Salequl. (2021). Unlearning, Relearning, and Paradigm Shift to Online Tertiary Education during the COVID-19 Pandemic in Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science, 20(5), 65–71. https://doi.org/10.3329/bjms.v20i5.55399
Haque, M., Islam, Salequl., Abubakar, A. R., Sani, I. H., Opanga, S., Kamal, Z. M., Akter, F., & Godman, B. (2021). Utilization and expenditure on long-acting insulin analogs among selected middle-income countries with high patient co-payment levels: Findings and implications for the future. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, 11(7), 172-182. https://doi.org/10.7324/JAPS.2021.110720
Godman B, Haque M, Kumar S, Islam Salequl, Charan J, Akter F, Kurdi A, Allocati E, Bakar MA, Rahim SA, Sultana N, Deeba F, Halim Khan MA, Alam ABMM, Jahan I, Kamal ZM, Hasin H, Munzur-E-Murshid, Nahar S, Haque M, Dutta S, Abhayanand JP, Kaur RJ, Acharya J, Sugahara T, Kwon HY, Bae S, Khuan KKP, Khan TA, Hussain S, Saleem Z, Pisana A, Wale J, Jakovljevic M. Current utilization patterns for long-acting insulin analogues including biosimilars among selected Asian countries and the implications for the future. Curr Med Res Opin. 2021 Sep;37(9):1529-1545. doi: 10.1080/03007995.2021.1946024. Epub 2021 Jul 14. PMID: 34166174.
Dutta, S., Kaur, R., Bhardwaj, P., Deora, S., Singh, K., Ambwani, S., Charan, J., Abubakar, A. R., Jahan, I., Lugova, H., Islam, Salequl., & Haque, M. (2021). Hydroxychloroquine as Therapeutic Option in COVID-19: Analysis of Suspected Cardiovascular Adverse Drug Events Reported in the VigiBase. Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science, 20(4), 897–910. https://doi.org/10.3329/bjms.v20i4.54150
Godman, Brian; Egwuenu, Abiodun; Haque, Mainul; Malande, Oliver O.; Schellack, Natalie; Kumar, Santosh; Saleem, Zikria; Sneddon, Jacqueline; Hoxha, Iris; Islam, Salequl; Mwita, Julius; do Nascimento, Renata C.R.M.; Dias Godói, Isabella P.; Niba, Loveline L.; Amu, Adefolarin A.; Acolatse, Joseph; Incoom, Robert; Sefah, Israel A.; Opanga, Sylvia; Kurdi, Amanj; Chikowe, Ibrahim; Khuluza, Felix; Kibuule, Dan; Ogunleye, Olayinka O.; Olalekan, Adesola; Markovic-Pekovic, Vanda; Meyer, Johanna C.; Alfadl, Abubakr; Phuong, Thuy N.T.; Kalungia, Aubrey C.; Campbell, Stephen; Pisana, Alice; Wale, Janney; Seaton, R. A. 2021. "Strategies to Improve Antimicrobial Utilization with a Special Focus on Developing Countries" Life 11, no. 6: 528. https://doi.org/10.3390/life11060528
Mainul Haque, Abdullahi Rabiu Abubakar, Olayinka O. Ogunleye, Ibrahim Haruna Sani, Israel Sefah, Amanj Kurdi, Salequl Islam, Brian Godman. “Changes in Availability, Utilization, and Prices of Medicines and Protection Equipment for COVID‑19 in an Urban Population of Northern Nigeria”. J Res Pharm Pract 2021;10:17-22. https://doi.org/10.4103/jrpp.JRPP_20_92
Rafia Tasnim, Md. Safaet Hossain Sujan, Md. Saiful Islam1, Asmaul Husna Ritu, Md. Abid Bin Siddique, Tanziha Yeasmin Toma, Rifat Nowshin1, Abid Hasan, Sahadat Hossain, Shamsun Nahar, Salequl Islam, Muhammad Sougatul Islam, Marc N. Potenza, and Jim van Os. “Prevalence and correlates of anxiety and depression in frontline healthcare workers treating people with COVID-19 in Bangladesh”. BMC Psychiatry 21, 271 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12888-021-03243-w
Brian Godman, Mainul Haque, Trudy Leong, Eleonora Allocati, Santosh Kumar, Salequl Islam, Jaykaran Charan, Farhana Akter, Amanj Kurdi, Carlos Vassalo, Muhammed Abu Bakar, Sagir Abdur Rahim, Nusrat Sultana, Farzana Deeba, MA Halim Khan, ABM Muksudul Alam, Iffat Jahan, Zubair Mahmood Kamal, Humaira Hasin, Munzur-E-Murshid, Shamsun Nahar, Monami Haque, Siddhartha Dutta, Jha Pallavi Abhayanand, Rimple Jeet Kaur, Godfrey Mutashambara Rwegerera, Renata Cristina Rezende Macedo do Nascimento, Isabella Piassi Dias Godói, Mohammed Irfan, Adefolarin A Amu, Patrick Matowa, Joseph Acolatse, Robert Incoom, Israel Abebrese Sefah, Jitendra Acharya, Sylvia Opanga, Lisper Wangeci Njeri, David Kimonge, Hye-Young Kwon, SeungJin Bae, Karen Koh Pek Khuan, Abdullahi Rabiu Abubakar, Ibrahim Haruna Sani, Tanveer Ahmed Khan, Shahzad Hussain, Zikria Saleem, Oliver Ombeva Malande, Thereza Piloya-Were, Rosana Gambogi, Carla Hernandez Ortiz, Luke Alutuli, Aubrey Chichonyi Kalungia, Iris Hoxha, Vanda Marković-Peković, Biljana Tubic, Guenka Petrova, Konstantin Tachkov, Ott Laius, András Harsanyi, András Inotai, Arianit Jakupi, Svens Henkuzens, Kristina Garuolienė, Jolanta Gulbinovič, Magdalene Wladysiuk, Jakub Rutkowski, Ileana Mardare, Jurij Fürst,
Stuart McTaggart, Sean MacBride-Stewart, Caridad Pontes, Corinne Zara, Eunice Twumwaa Adwubi, Rita Banzi,Janney Wale, Mihajlo Jakovljevic. (2021) The Current Situation Regarding Long-Acting Insulin Analogues Including Biosimilars Among African, Asian, European, and South American Countries; Findings and Implications for the Future. Front. Public Health 9:671961. https://doi:10.3389/fpubh.2021.671961
Nandeeta Samad, Siddhartha Dutta, Temitayo Eniola Sodunke, Adiba Fairuz, Ashmita Sapkota, Miftah Zannatul Ferdous, Iffat Jahan, Paras Sharma, Abdullahi Rabiu Abubakar, Adekunle B. Rowaiye, Angus Nnamdi Oli, Jaykaran Charan, Salequl Islam, Mainul Haque. “Fat-soluble Vitamins and the Current Global Pandemic of COVID-19: Evidence-Based Efficacy from Literature Review”. Journal of Inflammation Research 2021:14 2091–2110. https://doi.org/10.2147/JIR.S307333
Adekunle B. Rowaiye, Okiemute Ajiroghene Okpalefe, Olukemi Adejoke Onuh, Joyce Oloaigbe Ogidigo, Oluwakemi Hannah Oladipo, Ogu Amoge Chidinma, Angus Nnamdi Oli, Samson Ayodeji Olofinase, Onyekachi Onyekwere, Abdullahi Rabiu Abubakar, Dilshad Jahan, Salequl Islam, Siddhartha Dutta, Mainul Haque. “Attenuating the Effects of Novel COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) Infection Induced Cytokine Strom (Hypercytokinemia) and the Implications”. Journal of Inflammation Research 2021:14 1487–1510. https://doi.org/10.2147/JIR.S301784
Abubakar, A., Sani, I., Malami, S., Yaro, A., Jahan, I., Adnan, N., Kumar, S., Islam, S., Dutta, S., Charan, J., & Haque, M. (2021). Anxiety Disorders: Recent Global Approach to Neuro-pathogenesis, Drug Treatment, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and Their Implications. Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science, 20(3), 487-503. https://doi.org/10.3329/bjms.v20i3.52790
Bayasrin Ara, Umme Laila Urmi, Tanjum Ara Haque, Shamsun Nahar, Adity Rumnaz, Tamanna Ali, Mohammed Shah Alam, Abu Syed Md. Mosaddek, Nor Azlina a Rahman, Mainul Haque and Salequl Islam. “Detection of mobile colistin-resistance gene variants (mcr-1 and mcr-2) in urinary tract pathogens in Bangladesh: the last resort of infectious disease management colistin efficacy is under threat”. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2021 Mar 11. https://doi.org/10.1080/17512433.2021.1901577. (Corresponding author).
Dilshad Jahan, Ed Peile, Md Arif Sheikh, Salequl Islam, Sharlene Parasnath, Paras Sharma, Katia Iskandar, Sameer Dhingra, Jaykaran Charan, Timothy Craig Hardcastle, Nandeeta Samad, Tajkera Sultana Chowdhury, Mainul Haque. “Is it time to reconsider Prophylactic Antimicrobial Use for Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation? A Narrative Review of Antimicrobials in Stem Cell Transplantation”. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2021 Mar 12. https://doi.org/10.1080/14787210.2021.1902304
Katia Iskandar, Laurent Molinier, Souheil Hallit, Massimo Sartelli, Timothy Craig Hardcastle, Mainul Haque, Halyna Lugova, Sameer Dhingra, Paras Sharma, Salequl Islam, Irfan Mohammed, Isa Naina Mohamed, Pierre Abi Hanna, Said El Hajj, Nurul Adilla Hayat Jamaluddin, Pascale Salameh & Christine Roques. "Surveillance of antimicrobial resistance in low- and middle-income countries: a scattered picture." Antimicrob Resist Infect Control 10, 63 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1186/s13756-021-00931-w
Mainul Haque, Salequl Islam, Zubair Mahmood Kamal, Farhana Akter, Iffat Jahan, Md Sagir Abdur Rahim, Nusrat Sultana, ABM Muksudul Alam, Munzur-E-Murshid, MA Halim Khan, Farzana Deeba, Muhammed Abu Bakar, Shamsun Nahar, Miliva Mozaffor, Umme Laila Urmi, Taohidur Rahman Saikat, Zakirul Islam, Monami Haque,Samiul Iqbal, Mohammad Monir Hossain, Nurun Naher, Eleonora Allocati, Brian Godman. “Ongoing efforts to improve the management of patients with diabetes in Bangladesh and the implications”. Hosp Pract. 2021 Mar 18. https://doi.org/10.1080/21548331.2021.1906083
Nandeeta Samad, Temitayo Eniola Sodunke, Abdullahi Rabiu Abubakar, Iffat Jahan, Paras Sharma, Salequl Islam, Siddhartha Dutta, Mainul Haque. “The Implications of Zinc Therapy in Combating the COVID-19 Global Pandemic”. Journal of Inflammation Research 2021:14 527–550. http://doi.org/10.2147/JIR.S295377
- Mainul Haque, Salequl Islam, Zubair Mahmood Kamal, Farhana Akter, Iffat Jahan, Md Sagir Abdur Rahim, Nusrat Sultana, ABM Muksudul Alam, Munzur-E-Murshid, MA Halim Khan, Farzana Deeba, Muhammed Abu Bakar, Shamsun Nahar, Miliva Mozaffor, Umme Laila Urmi, Taohidur Rahman Saikat, Zakirul Islam, Monami Haque, Samiul Iqbal, Mohammad Monir Hossain, Nurun Naher, Eleonora Allocati, Brian Godman. “Ongoing efforts to improve the management of patients with diabetes in Bangladesh and the implications”. Accepted 17th March, 2021, Hospital Practice. https://doi.org/10.1080/21548331.2021.1906083
- Adekunle B. Rowaiye, Okiemute Ajiroghene Okpalefe, Olukemi Adejoke Onuh, Joyce Oloaigbe Ogidigo, Oluwakemi Hannah Oladipo, Ogu Amoge Chidinma, Angus Nnamdi Oli, Samson Ayodeji Olofinase, Onyekachi Onyekwere, Abdullahi Rabiu Abubakar, Dilshad Jahan, Salequl Islam, Siddhartha Dutta, Mainul Haque. “Attenuating the Effects of Novel COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) Infection Induced Cytokine Strom (Hypercytokinemia) and the Implications”. Accepted 15th March, 2021, Journal of Inflammation Research.
- Dilshad Jahan, Ed Peile, Md Arif Sheikh, Salequl Islam, Sharlene Parasnath, Paras Sharma, Katia Iskandar, Sameer Dhingra, Jaykaran Charan, Timothy Craig Hardcastle, Nandeeta Samad, Tajkera Sultana Chowdhury, Mainul Haque. “Is it time to reconsider Prophylactic Antimicrobial Use for Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation? A Narrative Review of Antimicrobials in Stem Cell Transplantation”. Accepted 9th March, 2021, Expert Review of Anti-infective Therapy, https://doi.org/10.1080/14787210.2021.1902304
- Bayasrin Ara, Umme Laila Urmi, Tanjum Ara Haque, Shamsun Nahar, Adity Rumnaz, Tamanna Ali, Mohammed Shah Alam, Abu Syed Md. Mosaddek, Nor Azlina a Rahman, Mainul Haque and Salequl Islam. “Detection of mobile colistin-resistance gene variants (mcr-1 and mcr-2) in urinary tract pathogens in Bangladesh: the last resort of infectious disease management colistin efficacy is under threat”. Accepted 8th March, 2021, EXPERT REVIEW OF CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY. https://doi.org/10.1080/17512433.2021.1901577
- Nandeeta Samad, Temitayo Eniola Sodunke, Abdullahi Rabiu Abubakar, Iffat Jahan, Paras Sharma, Salequl Islam, Siddhartha Dutta, Mainul Haque. “The Implications of Zinc Therapy in Combating the COVID-19 Global Pandemic”. Journal of Inflammation Research 2021:14 527–550. http://doi.org/10.2147/JIR.S295377
- Marzan M, Islam DZ, Lugova H, Krishnapillai A, Haque M, Islam S. Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices of Antimicrobial Uses and Resistance Among Public University Students in Bangladesh. Infect Drug Resist. 2021;14:519-533. https://doi.org/10.2147/IDR.S289964
- Asif Nashiry, Shauli Sarmin Sumi, Salequl Islam, Julian M W Quinn, Mohammad Ali Moni, Bioinformatics and system biology approach to identify the influences of COVID-19 on cardiovascular and hypertensive comorbidities, Briefings in Bioinformatics, 2021; bbaa426, https://doi.org/10.1093/bib/bbaa426
- Tamanna Ali, Adity Rumnaz, Umme Laila Urmi, Shamsun Nahar, Masud Rana, Fahmida Sultana, Samiul Iqbal, Mohammed Muklesur Rahman, Nor Azlina A. Rahman, Salequl Islam, Mainul Haque (Corresponding author). “Type-2 Diabetes Mellitus Individuals Carry Different Periodontal Bacteria”, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada 2021; 21:e0107, https://doi.org/10.1590/pboci.2021.049
- Israel Abebrese Sefah, Olayinka O. Ogunleye, Darius Obeng Essah, Sylvia A. Opanga, Nadia Butt, Annie Wamaitha, Anastasia Nkatha Guantai, Ibrahim Chikowe, Felix Khuluza8, Dan Kibuule9, Lahya Nambahu9, Abdullahi Rabiu Abubakar, Ibrahim Haruna Sani, Zikria Saleem, Aubrey C. Kalungia, Thuy Nguyen Thi Phuong, Mainul Haque, Salequl Islam, Santosh Kumar, Jacqueline Sneddon, Joshua Wamboga, Janney Wale, Nenad Miljkovic´, Amanj Kurdi, Antony P. Martin and Brian Godman. "Rapid Assessment of the Potential Paucity and Price Increases for Suggested Medicines and Protection Equipment for COVID-19 Across Developing Countries with a Particular Focus on Africa and the Implications" Front. Pharmacol. 11:588106, January, 2021. https://doi.org/10.3389/fphar.2020.588106
- MAINUL HAQUE, Santosh Kumar, Jaykaran Charan, Rohan Bhatt, Salequl Islam, Siddhartha Dutta, Jha Pallavi Abhayanand, Yesh Sharma, Israel Abebrese Sefah, Amanj Kurdi, Janney Wale and Brian Godman. "Utilisation, availability and price changes of medicines and protection equipment for COVID-19 in India: findings and implications" Front. Pharmacol. 11:582154, January , 2021. https://doi.org/10.3389/fphar.2020.582154
- Salequl Islam, Mohammad Ali Moni, Umme Laila Urmi, Atsushi Tanaka, Hiroo Hoshino." C-C chemokine receptor-like 2 (CCRL2) Acts as Coreceptor for Human Immunodeficiency Virus-2". Briefings in Bioinformatics, 00(00), 2020, 1–12. http://doi.org/10.1093/bib/bbaa333
- Mainul Haque , Salequl Islam , Md Arif Sheikh , Sameer Dhingra , Peace Uwambaye , Francesco Maria Labricciosa , Katia Iskandar , Jaykaran Charan , Alaeddin Bashir Abukabda & Dilshad Jahan." Quorum sensing: a new prospect for the management of antimicrobial-resistant infectious diseases". Expert Review of Anti-infective Therapy, Print online, 08 Dec 2020. http://doi.org/ 10.1080/14787210.2021.1843427
- Dutta S, Kaur R, Haque M, Bhardwaj P, Saxena D, Rahman NAA, Lugova H, Jahan D, Islam Salequl , Chowdhury TS, Charan J. Terminated Interventional Trials in the Clinical Trial Registry of India Database: An Analysis to Evaluate the Reasons for Termination. Open Access Journal of Clinical Trials. 2020(12):61-70 https://doi.org/10.2147/OAJCT.S285177
- Brian Godman, MAINUL HAQUE* ,Salequl Islam, Samiul Iqbal, Umme Laila Urmi, Zubair Mahmood Kamal, ASM Shahariar Ahmed, Aminur Rahman, Mustafa Kamal, Monami Haque, Thuy Nguyen Thi Phuong, Hye-Young Kwon, Amanj Kurdi, Janney Wale and Israel Abebrese Sefah" Rapid assessment of price instability and paucity of medicines and protection for COVID-19 across Asia: findings and public health implications for the future " Front Public Health. 2020 Dec 14;8:585832, doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2020.585832 .
- Sayeeda Rahman, Keerti Singh, Sameer Dhingra, Jaykaran Charan, Paras Sharma, Salequl Islam, Dilshad Jahan, Katia Iskandar, Nandeeta Samad, Mainul Haque. "The Double Burden of the COVID-19 Pandemic and Polypharmacy on Geriatric Population–Public Health Implications" Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management 2020:16 1007–1022, http://doi.org/10.2147/TCRM.S272908
- Salequl Islam, Umme Laila Urmi, Masud Rana, Fahmida Sultana, Nusrat Jahan, Billal Hossain, Samiul Iqbal, Md. Moyazzem Hossain, Abu Syed Md. Mosaddek, & Shamsun Nahar. "High abundance of the colistin resistance gene mcr‑1 in chicken gut‑bacteria in Bangladesh" Sci Rep 10, 17292 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-74402-4
- Mainul Haque, Judy McKimm, Massimo Sartelli, Sameer Dhingra, Francesco M Labricciosa, Salequl Islam, Dilshad Jahan, Tanzina Nusrat, Tajkera Sultana Chowdhury, Federico Coccolini, Katia Iskandar, Fausto Catena, Jaykaran Charan. "Strategies to Prevent Healthcare-Associated Infections: A Narrative Overview" Risk Management and Healthcare Policy, August, 2020. http://doi.org/10.2147/RMHP.S269315
- Sameer Dhingra, Nor Azlina A Rahman, Ed Peile, Motiur Rahman, Massimo Sartelli, Mohamed Azmi Hassali, Tariqul Islam, Salequl Islam and MAINUL HAQUE*. "Microbial Resistance Movements: An Overview of Global Public Health Threats Posed by Antimicrobial Resistance, and How Best to Counter". Front. Public Health, Accepted August 14, 2020.
- Salequl Islam, Mohammad Ali Moni, Atsushi Tanaka, and Hiroo Hoshino. “Magnesium Functions as Superior Co-factor for Measuring Reverse Transcriptase Activity of HIV-1, HIV-2, and SIV" European Journal of Medical and Health Sciences, Vol. 2:(4), August 2020. (Corresponding author). http://dx.doi.org/10.24018/ejmed.2020.2.4.433
- Umme Laila Urmi, Shamsun Nahar, Masud Rana, Fahmida Sultana, Nusrat Jahan, Billal Hossain, Mohammed Shah Alam, Abu Syed Md. Mosaddek, Judy McKimm, Nor Azlina A Rahman, Salequl Islam, Mainul Haque. “Genotypic to Phenotypic Resistance Discrepancies Identified involving β-lactamase genes, blaKPC, blaIMP, blaNDM-1, and blaVIM in uropathogenic Klebsiella pneumoniae" Infections and Drug Resistance, 2020:13. 2863-2875. (Corresponding author). http://doi.org/10.2147/IDR.S262493
- Mainul Haque, Salequl Islam, Samiul Iqbal, Umme Laila Urmi, Zubair Mahmood Kamal, Aminur Rahman, Mustafa Kamal, Monami Haque, Iffat Jahan, Zakirul Islam, Mohammad Monir Hossain, Munzur-E-Murshid, Israel Sefah, Amanj Kurdi, Brian Godman. “Availability and price changes of potential medicines and equipment for the prevention and treatment of COVID-19 among pharmacy and drug stores in Bangladesh; findings and implications.” Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science, Vol 19 Special Issue on Covid19, July 2020.
- Umme Laila Urmi, Nusrat Jahan, Shamsun Nahar, Masud Rana, Fahmida Sultana, Billal Hossain, Samiul Iqbal, Moyazzem Hossain, ASM Mosaddek and Salequl Islam. “Gram-positive uropathogens: Empirical treatment and emerging antimicrobial resistance" Biomedical Research and Clinical Practice, 4 (1-4) April 2019.
o Salequl Islam, Damani A. Piggott, Alberto Moriggia, Jacquie Astemborski, Shruti H. Mehta, David L. Thomas, and Gregory D. Kirk. "Reducing injection intensity is associated with decreased risk for invasive bacterial infection among high-frequency injection drug users". Harm Reduction Journal, June, 2019. (Corresponding author).
o Mohammad Sorowar Hossain, Md. Mahbub Hasan, Muhammad Sougatul Islam, Salequl Islam, Miliva Mozaffor, Biomedical Research Foundation (BRF) team, Enayetur Raheem. " Chikungunya outbreak (2017) in Bangladesh: Clinical profile, economic impact and quality of life during the acute phase of the disease". PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases, May, 2018
o Nazneen Jahan1, Jamil Mahmud, Fatema Akter, Salequl Islam and M. Hasibur Rahman. " Diversity of Plasmid Profile in Multi-drug Resistant Non- E. coli Intestinal Flora Lacking Association with Resistance Phenomenon". British Microbiology Research Journal 14(6): May, 2016.
o Shamsun Nahar, Mohammad Showkat Mahmud, Sabiha Sultana, Mohammad Bazlul Karim Choudhury and Salequl Islam. "Norovirus Infection in Community Children with Acute Gastroenteritis in Savar Area, Dhaka, Bangladesh". British Journal of Medicine & Medical Research, May 2016. (Corresponding author)
o Arifatun Nahar, Mahfuza Marzan, Mashuk Siddiquee, Shamsun Nahar, Kazi Selim Anwar and Salequl Islam. "Multidrug Resistant Providencia stuartii in Chicken Droppings: Public Health Implications for Poultry Workers and Associated Communities in nearby Dhaka Metropolis, Bangladesh". British Microbiology Research Journal 14(5): May 2016. (Corresponding author).
o Sheikh Ariful Hoque, Atsushi Tanaka, Salequl Islam, Gias Uddin Ahsan, Atsushi Jinno-Oue, and Hiroo Hoshino. “Suppression of HIV-1 Infectivity by Human Glioma Cells”. AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, January 15, 2016.
o Sean X. Leng, Stewart Dandorf, Huifen Li, Joshua Carlson,Jessica Hui, Shruti H. Mehta, Damani Piggott, Salequl Islam, Bhavish Manwan and Gregory D. Kirk. “Associations of Circulating Soluble Tumor Necrosis Factor-α Receptors 1 and 2 with Interleukin-6 Levels in an Aging Cohort of Injection Drug Users with or at high risk for HIV infection”. AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, September 28, 2015
o Arifatun Nahar, Mashuk Siddiquee, Shamsun Nahar, Kazi Selim Anwar, Sk Imran Ali, Salequl Islam. “Multidrug resistant-Proteus mibabilis isolated from chicken droppings in commercial poultry farms: Biosecurity concern and emerging public health threat in Bangladesh”. Biosafety Health Educ. Aug 2014 2:120 (Corresponding author)
o Salequl Islam, Katsuaki Kanbe, Nobuaki Shimizu, Takahiro Ohtsuki, Atsushi Jinno-Oue, Atsushi Tanaka, Hiroo Hoshino. “CKR-L3, a deletion version CCR6-isoform shows coreceptor-activity for limited human and simian immunodeficiency viruses”. BMC Infectious Diseases. Jul 2014 14:354 (Corresponding author)
o Muhammad Yasin Ali, Salequl Islam, Mohammad Ruhul Amin, Farah Samma, Siraji Arif Mahmud, Nihad Adnan. “Dissemination of MDR bacteria from poultry litters and veterinary waste in Savar, Bangladesh”. Jahangirnagar University J. Biol. Sci. Dec 2013, 2(2):93-101.
o Salequl Islam, Nobuaki Shimizu, Sheikh Ariful Hoque, Atsushi Jinno-Oue, Atsushi Tanaka, Hiroo Hoshino “CCR6 functions as a new coreceptor for limited primary human and simian immunodeficiency viruses ”. PLoS One. 2013 Aug 29;8(8):e73116. (Corresponding author)
o Salequl Islam, Ariful Hoque, Nihad Adnan, Atsushi Tanaka, Atsushi Jinno-Oue, and Hiroo Hoshino. “X4-tropic human immunodeficiency virus IIIB utilizes CXCR4 as coreceptor, as distinct from R5X4-tropic viruses”. Microbiology and Immunology, 2013 Jun;57(6):437-44). (Corresponding author)
o Tanaka A, Nakatani Y, Hamada N, Jinno-Oue A, Shimizu N, Wada S, Funayama T, Mori T, Salequl Islam, Hoque SA, Shinagawa M, Ohtsuki T, Kobayashi Y, Hoshino H. “Ionising irradiation alters the dynamics of human long interspersed nuclear elements 1 (LINE1) retrotransposon”. Mutagenesis. 2012 Sep;27(5):599-607.
o Salequl Islam, Ariful Hoque, Shamsun Nahar , Nihad Adnan, Atsushi Tanaka, and Hiroo Hoshino. “Deletion of 23 amino acids from N-terminal region of CXCR4 (X4△NTR23) abolishes the coreceptor activity for HIV/SIV isolates”. Jahangirnagar University J. Biol. Sci. 1(1): 25-35, 2012 (June).
o Sheikh Ariful Hoque, Ohtsuki T, Tatsumi M, Shimizu N, Salequl Islam, Jinno-Oue Atsushi, Hiroo Hoshino. “Lack of the trans-receptor mechanism of HIV-1 infection: CD4- and coreceptor-independent incorporation of HIV-1-resistant cells into syncytia induced by HIV-1” Microbes Infect. 2012 Apr;14(4):357-68.
o Atsushi Tanaka, Atsushi Jinno-Oue, Nobuaki Shimizu, Ariful Hoque, Takahisa Mori, Salequl Islam, Youko Nakatani, Masahiko Shinagawa, and Hiroo Hoshino. "Entry of human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 is augmented by heparin sulfate proteoglycans bearing short heparin-like structures". J Virol. 2012 Mar;86(6):2959-69
o Atsushi Jinno-Oue, Nobuaki Shimizu, Nobuyuki Hamada, Seiichi Wada, Atsushi Tanaka, Masahiko Shinagawa, Takahiro Ohtsuki, Takahisa Mori, Manujendra N. Saha, Ariful S. Hoque, Salequl Islam, Kimitaka Kogure, Tomoo Funayama, Yasuhiko Kobayashi, And Hiroo Hoshino. “Irradiation With Carbon Ion Beams Induces Apoptosis, Autophagy, And Cellular Senescence In A Human Glioma-Derived Cell Line”. Int. J. Radiation Oncology Biol. Phys., Vol. 76, No. 1, pp. 229–241, 2010.
o Cynthia L. Sears, Salequl Islam, Amit Saha, Maleka Arjumand, Nur Haque Alam, A. S. G. Faruque, M. A. Salam, Jai Shin, David Hecht, Andrej Weintraub, R. Bradley Sack, and Firdausi Qadri. “Association of Enterotoxigenic Bacteroides fragilis Infection with Inflammatory Diarrhea” Clinical Infectious Diseases 2008; 47:797–803.
SEMINARMd. Salequl Islam,
• “Prophylactic uses of antimicrobials in Bangladeshi poultry drive microbial resistance”. American Society for Microbiology (ASM) Biothreat. Feb 12-14, 2018. Baltimore, MD, USA.
• “Coreceptor role of CCRL2 for human and simian immunodeficiency viruses”. American Society for Microbiology (ASM) Microbe 2016. June 16-20, 2016. Boston, MA, USA. (Accepted with travel grant award).
• "Abstinence From Injecting Drugs Is Associated With Decline In Inflammatory Makers But Not With Monocyte Activation Markers". National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) International Forum 2016. June 10-25, 2016. Palm Spring, CA, USA. (Accepted with travel grant award).
• 4th HIV and Aging Workshop 2013. 30th-31st October, 2013.Baltimore, MD, USA
• “CCR6 functions as a new coreceptor for limited primary human and simian immunodeficiency viruses ”. 7th IAS conference on HIV pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention, June 30-July 03, 2013. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
• Symposium-talk on “Human and Simian Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV/SIV)-coreceptors” AMIST University Faculty of Medicine, Kedah, Malaysia. July 5th, 2013
• “Ethics in Scientific Writing” Scientific Writing and Publishing Workshop, Organised by American Society for Microbiology (ASM), 16th February, 2013, ICDDR,B, Dhaka, Bangladesh
• “Mechanisms and Implications of Injection and Inflammation among HIV/HCV-Coinfected Drug Users in the ALIVE Study”AIDS-2012 Conference, 22-27th July, 2012. Washington DC, USA
• “Enterotoxigenic Bacteroides fragilis (ETBF): Associated with inflammatory diarrhea” US-Japan cooperative Medical Science Program-2008, 17-19th Nov, 2008. Fukuoka, Japan
|Course Code||Course Title||Semester/Year|
|Pharm 6109||Applied Microbiology and Immunology||M.Sc.|
|BGE 311||Virology and Oncology||3rd Year|
|Microb 409||Scientific Research Methodology||4th Year|
|Microbe 406||Advanced Virology||4th Year|
|Microbe 208||Biostatistics||2nd Year|
|Microb 104||Microbial Chemistry||1st Year|
Senior Visiting Fellow (distant program)
Visiting Research fellow
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
Master in Microbiology
Bachelor of Science (Microbiology)
Position: Professor in Microbiology,
Period: Nov 2020-Present.
- Course development, teaching, and evaluation of courses for under/postgraduate students
- Designing and conducting of microbiological laboratory experiments for students
- Mentoring MS/M.Phil. /Ph.D. students.
- Research projects and grants management.
Position: Associate Professor in Microbiology,
Period: May 2016-Oct 2020
- Course development, teaching, and evaluation of courses for under/postgraduate students.
- Designing and conducting microbiological laboratory experiments for students.
- Mentoring B.Sc- project/MS thesis students.
- Concentration on clinical microbiology, Immunology, Virology, and bacterial metabolism.
Position: Assistant Professor in Microbiology,
Period: Mar 2013-Apr 2016
- Course development, teaching, and evaluation of courses for under/postgraduate students
- Designing and conducting microbiological laboratory-experiments for students
- Guiding and supervising B.Sc project /MS thesis students
- Concentration on clinical microbiology, Immunology, Virology, and bacterial metabolism
Position: Lecturer in Microbiology,
Period: Nov 2006-Feb 2013
- Course development, teaching, and evaluation of courses for under/postgraduate students
- Concentration on Immunology, clinical microbiology, and basic biochemistry.
Position: Research Officer (Immunology Lab)
Period: Oct 2005-Oct 2006
-Isolation and identification of pathogenic bacteria from clinical samples
-To carry out immunological assays in response to infections.
-Guiding MS thesis students and foreign fellows in the lab
-Reporting study updates to the principal investigator (PI) and manuscript drafting.
Position: Senior Research Assistant (Immunology Lab),
Period: Nov 2003-Sep 2005
-Isolation and identification of pathogenic bacteria from clinical samples
-Culture and identification of anaerobic bacteria
-Communication among patients, study doctors, and community health workers
-Reporting study updates to the principal investigator (PI)
Position: Chairman, Department of Microbiology
Period: December 2022 - present.
Position: Member, Institutional Review Board (IRB),
Position: Resource person/mentor, for ‘Research Methodology and Scientific Writing’ training program,
Position: Head of BioResource Center in Dhaka
Period: 2016 -2017
Position: Team member, Teaching-Learning Assessment, Microbiology,
Position: Student Advisor, Microbiology Department,
Period: 2011 -2013.
Md. Salequl Islam
Department of Microbiology
Jahangirnagar University, Savar, Dhaka-1342, Bangladesh.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com